Sunday, October 30, 2011

A FEW MILES EAST OF LECOMPTON





Lawrence Kansas
Home of the Jayhawks
Rick, black soil
Acres
Of coal tinted cornfields
A few miles east of Lecompton
Territorial Capitol
Pioneer Plains dreams
Pale faced schemes
National Guard convoy
Slowly make their way
To their next taxpayer assignment
On this crisp autumn day
More road construction
Leavenworth log jam
DAMN
It’s irritating
But necessary
To safely transport
Our children’s future children
Iron Maiden trilogy
Compliments the brilliant golden leaves
Welcome back McRib
Even if our time is limited
I missed you my old friend
Fabled Tonganoxie
Your noble history
Unfortunately
Disturbed by more impatient drivers
Yet another stupid fuck
Far too immature
To operate a pick-up truck
Ramrod insanity
Ballistic tailgate mindset
Chill out spastic boy child
Lasso those adolescent hormones
You’ll get there
As your trip is done
Try to have some fun
Soak up this beautiful landscape
Take a few deep breaths
Before you contribute
To yet another
Unnecessary Highway death
Toll Plaza exits
A novel taxing scheme
No worries Kansas Commonwealth
I gladly donate
To your turnpike action plan
A well spent $2.50
For safe and well groomed
Rustic Kaw Valley roads
A woodsman’s wet dream
Close to Bonner Springs
Where outdoor freedom rings…..

© Bill Grimes Jr. 2011

I AM and i ISBN# 1-4241-0749-0

I AM and i  ISBN# 1-4241-0749-0
My first book
Bill Grimes Jr.
Read My Writing at WritersCafe.org

About Me

My photo
Wherever He leads me.
If I flow it Will you read it? Will you feel it As I bleed it? Because you see I need it To justify my trip My words A pointed tip Dipped in sacred blood Precursor To the coming flood A gift from God My KING A beautiful thing To serve His higher cause I'm not seeking vain applause Simply Clarity For this lost world to see His grace Sweet charity Unconditional love And peace My ultimate release SELAH……. (C) Bill Grimes Jr. 2012

Blog Archive